Sunday, 10 July 2011

Let there be light (but let it not buzz)

And Jesus answered them, "Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt...if you say to this mountain, 'Be taken up and thrown into the sea,' it will happen." Matthew 21.21 ESV

I was trying to pray on Thursday but the light was buzzing loudly for a long time. I felt like God was challenging me to speak to it, so I did:

"Light be silent!"
"Buzzzzzzz!" came the bold response.

I asked the Lord how come I'd heard from Him about speaking to the light, and it hadn't worked. He asked what I'd expected to happen. I had to admit that despite the faith from hearing God I also doubted the light would shut up because it had been like that for ages. Graciously he showed me from Matthew 21.21 that as well as having faith, we must deal with our doubts: "if you have faith and do not doubt."

So God told me to give Him my doubts, consciously and deliberately. I offered Him the thought it wouldn't work, and the thought that I didn't hear God, and the thought that I'm not good enough or spiritual enough (who is?). And then I spoke:

"Light be silent!" And, not instantly, but just a moment later, it suddenly was.